Cleocin Clindamycin Phosphate and/or alternatives
Cleocin 2%Marketed as Dalacin in European Union Manufacturer: Pfizer Source Country : United Kingdom
Shipped from : United Kingdom
Cleocin 150mgManufacturer: Zentiva (of Sanofi Aventis) Source Country : Turkey
Shipped from : Turkey
Clindamycin Hydrochloride 150mgGeneric Alternative to Cleocin 150mg
Marketed as Apo-Clindamycin in Canada Manufacturer: Apotex Inc. Source Country : Canada
Shipped from : Canada
Clindamycin Hydrochloride 300mgGeneric Alternative to Cleocin 300mg
Marketed as Apo-Clindamycin in Canada Manufacturer: Apotex Corporation Source Country : Canada
Shipped from : Canada
- What is a Generic?
This item requires a prescription from your doctor
All trademarks and registered trademarks are the property of their respective owners.
Please note that the source country, shipping country and/or manufacture may vary depending on availability.
Description of Cleocin
Cleocin is used to reduce the development of drug-resistant bacteria. You should buy Cleocin only to treat or prevent infections that are proven or strongly suspected to be caused by bacteria. The drug contains clindamycin hydrochloride, which is the hydrated hydrochloride salt form of clindamycin. The clindamycin hydrochloride present in Cleocin is equivalent to 75 mg, 150 mg or 300 mg of clindamycin.
The inactive ingredients are :
- 75 mg tablets - lactose, magnesium stearate, talc, corn starch, FD&C blue no. 1, FD&C yellow no. 5,
- 150 mg - corn starch, FD&C blue no. 1, FD&C yellow no. 5, lactose, gelatin, magnesium stearate, titanium dioxide, talc.
- 300 mg - magnesium stearate, titanium dioxide, talc, FD&C blue no. 1, gelatin, corn starch, lactose.
Indications & Dosage of Cleocin
Cleocin is prescribed for the treatment of serious infections caused by various forms of bacteria. It is also indicated in the treatment of serious infections due to certain strains of pneumococci, staphylococci and streptococci. Its use should be reserved for penicillin-allergic patients or other patients for whom penicillin is inappropriate. Due to the risk of colitis, the doctor should consider the nature of the infection.
The following strains cause the respective conditions:
- Streptococci - severe respiratory tract infections; skin and soft tissue infections.
- Pneumococci - respiratory tract infections.
- Anaerobes - respiratory tract infections (anaerobic pneumonitis, lung abscess and empyema), soft tissue and skin infections, septicemia, pelvic cellulitis, postsurgical vaginal cuff infection, endometritis
- Staphylococci – severe tissue infections, infections in the respiratory tract.
It is recommended to monitor and understand the causative agents and organisms responsible for the conditions.
For adult patients :
- Serious infections - 150 to 300 mg every 6 hours.
- Severe/more serious infections - 300 to 450 mg every 6 hours.
For pediatric patients :
- Infections - 8 mg to 16 mg of Cleocin per kg of weight per day. The dose should be divided into three or four equal doses.
- Severe infections - 16 mg to 20 mg of Cloecin per kg of weight per day. The dose should be divided into three or four equal doses.
It is recommended to take Cleocin with a full glass of water to avoid esophageal irritation.
You can buy Cleocin as either:
- Cleocin 75 mg
- Cleocin 150 mg
- Cleocin 300 mg
Cleocin should be stored at controlled room temperatures of 20°C to 25° C.
Side Effects & Interactions of Cleocin
The following side effects of Cleocin have been reported:
- Abdominal pain, nausea, vomiting,
- Pruritus, vaginitis, exfoliated dermatitis,
- Vesiculobullous rashes, erythema multiforme, skin rashes,
- Abnormalities in liver functions, jaundice,
- Leukopenia, polyarthritis, Agranulocytosis
Warnings & Precautions of Cleocin
There are no established studies of this drug on pregnant women. As such, it is advisable to discuss the benefits and risks of Cleocin with your doctor before administering it. Appropriate monitoring is recommended when administering the medicine to pediatric patients. Cleocin passes into breast milk, so it is strongly recommended to exercise caution while administering the drug to nursing mothers.