Purinethol Mercaptopurine and/or alternatives
Purinethol 50mgManufacturer: Teva Source Country : Canada
Shipped from : Canada
Mercaptopurine 50mgGeneric Alternative to Purinethol 50mg
Manufacturer: Zydus Cadila Source Country : India
Shipped from : India
- What is a Generic?
This item requires a prescription from your doctor
All trademarks and registered trademarks are the property of their respective owners.
Please note that the source country, shipping country and/or manufacture may vary depending on availability.
Description of Purinethol
Purinethol comes in a class of drugs referred as purine antagonists. This drug is used for treating a particular type of cancer, and it works by inhibiting the growth of cancerous cells. The generic name of this drug is Mercaptopurine. Life-threatening side effects may occur if you use this drug for unintended medical purposes. You must ensure that you buy Purinethol only if prescribed by a doctor.
Purinethol is administered orally. You can buy Purinethol online in form of oral tablets (Purinethol 50 mg). The nonmedical ingredients used in this drug are: lactose, potato and corn starch, stearic acid, and magnesium stearate.
Indications & Dosage of Purinethol
Purinethol is indicated for the treatment of acute lymphatic leukemia.
The dosage of Purinethol depends on:
- Severity of the condition
- Patient’s medical history
- Other medicines that patient is taking
- Patient’s body weight
The recommended maintenance dosage is 1.5 mg – 2.5 mg per kg per day, administered in a single dose. Patients who have renal and/or hepatic insufficiency may be administered a lower maintenance dosage.
Side Effects & Interactions of Purinethol
Purinethol can cause severe, even fatal, side effects. Discuss the risks of Purinethol that apply in your case with your doctor. Follow your doctor’s recommendation to ensure that the treatment is effective and the risk of serious side effects is kept in check.
Consult your healthcare provider immediately if you show any signs of lymphoma. The side effects you need to watch out for are:
- Tiredness, night sweats, fever, weight loss
- Loss of appetite, nausea, pain in the upper stomach, dark urine, itching, yellow eyes or skin, dark stools
- Pain in the upper stomach
- Easy bruising, Unusual or easy bleeding, lightheadedness, rapid heart rate, pale skin
Other serious side effects associated with Purinethol may include:
- Signs of an infection – body aches, muscle pain, sore throat, chills, fever, weakness, other flu symptoms
- Signs of a hypersensitivity reaction – difficulty breathing, facial flushness, swelling of the throat, face, or lips, hives, closing of the throat
- Burning or pain while passing urine
- Sores or white patches on the lips or inside the mouth
- Tarry or black stools, vomit that is appears similar to coffee grounds, blood-stained sputum
Purinethol may interact with certain other drugs. To ensure that you do not experience harmful drug interactions during treatment, tell your doctor about all other medicines that you are taking.
Names of some drugs that are likely to interact with Purinethol may include the following:
- ACE inhibitors such as lisinopril
- Drugs used for lowering cholesterol such as simvastatin, pravastatin, lovastatin, and others
- NSAIDs such as diclofenac, ibuprofen, celecoxib, and others
- Anti-seizure drugs such as valproic acid
Warnings & Precautions of Purinethol
Purinethol is contraindicated in patients who have earlier used thioguanine or mercaptopurine and the medicines were ineffective in treating the condition. You should not buy Purinethol if you are allergic to any of its constituents.
Purinethol may increase the risk of a rare, and possibly fatal, type of cancer that affects bone marrow, spleen, and liver. This condition has reported to occur mostly in young adults and teenagers who use Purinethol. Discuss the risks associated with this drug with your doctor before using it.
Purinethol is listed in pregnancy category D. That is, it is not safe for unborn children. Do not use this drug if pregnant or planning pregnancy.