Aygestin Norethindrone Acetate and/or alternatives
Aygestin 5mgMarketed as Utovlan in European Union Manufacturer: Pfizer Ltd Source Country : United Kingdom
Shipped from : United Kingdom
Norethindrone Acetate 5mgGeneric Alternative to Aygestin 5mg
Manufacturer: A UK MHRA approved Generic Manufacturer Source Country : United Kingdom
Shipped from : United Kingdom
- What is a Generic?
This item requires a prescription from your doctor
All trademarks and registered trademarks are the property of their respective owners.
Please note that the source country, shipping country and/or manufacture may vary depending on availability.
Description of Aygestin
Aygestin is the brand name of norethindrone, which is a synthesized form of a natural female hormone called progesterone. You can buy Aygestin as a hormonal birth control pill for preventing unwanted pregnancy. Aygestin prevents pregnancy in the following three ways:
- It changes the uterine lining, making it difficult for fertilized eggs to bind with it
- It changes the cervical mucus, making it difficult for sperm to reach the egg
- It prevents the process of ovulation in which the ovary released an egg
Aygestin is also used for the treatment of endometriosis and menstrual disorders. Another use of this drug is for the treatment of abnormal vaginal bleeding that occurs as a result of hormonal imbalance.
Indications & Dosage of Aygestin
Aygestin is available as a 28-tablet pack, which each tablet containing 5mg norethindrone. Your doctor would instruct you on the exact daily dosage and duration of treatment with Aygestin. You must only follow your doctor’s prescribed dosage.
If you are using Aygestin as a birth control measure, you would need to use a non-hormonal contraceptive during the first week of use. Such contraceptives would include spermicide and condoms. You can confirm the best form of contraceptives to be used during the initial period of Aygestin usage. You may have withdrawal bleeding in 3-7 days after you stop taking Aygestin.
The recommended dosage of Aygestin is 2.5mg-10mg daily if it has been prescribed for abnormal vaginal or uterine bleeding. The drug would usually be taken during the 5-10 days that mark the second half of the menstrual cycle. By timing the treatment with Aygestin this way, the drug would be at its maximum efficiency.
Side Effects & Interactions of Aygestin
Aygestin may cause severe side effects such as those given below:
- Stomach pain, jaundice, clay colored stools, loss of appetite, dark urine, low fever, nausea
- Heaviness or pain in the chest that spreads to the shoulder and arm, sweating, general ill feeling
- Sudden weakness and numbness in one side of the body
Aygestin is also known to cause mild and transient side effects, some of which are given below:
- Mild headache
- Reduced sex drive, changes in the menstrual cycle
- Rashes or itching on the skin
- Vaginal discharge or itching
- Weight changes
- Increased hair growth and acne
- Darkened or freckled facial skin
- Pain, tenderness or swelling of breasts
- Mild cases of bloating, vomiting, abdominal cramps and nausea
Aygestin interacts with some drugs, such as those given below:
- HIV/AIDs medicines
- Itraconazole and ketoconazole
- St. John’s wort
Warnings & Precautions of Aygestin
You must not buy Aygestin if you are already pregnant or if you suffer from breast cancer, stroke, blood circulation problems or an allergy to norethindrone. You cannot have this drug if you have recently had an abortion or a miscarriage.