- Browse medications
Duodopa Levodopa/Carbidopa and/or alternatives
Duodopa 2000/500mgManufacturer: Solvay Pharmaceuticals Source Country : United Kingdom
Shipped from : United Kingdom
This item requires a prescription from your doctor
All trademarks and registered trademarks are the property of their respective owners.
Please note that the source country, shipping country and/or manufacture may vary depending on availability.
Description of Duodopa
Duodopa is a combination of Carbidopa and Levodopa, and it belongs to the class of anti-Parkinson medicines. You can buy Duodopa in the form of an intestinal gel. Each ml of the gel contains 5mg Carbidopa and 20mg Levodopa. Other ingredients present in the drug include purified water and carmellose sodium.
Indications & Dosage of Duodopa
Duodopa is used for the treatment of Parkinson’s disease. It helps in controlling severe involuntary movements due to the disease in advanced stages. The medicine works by increasing the amount of certain chemicals in the brain so that you gain control on your posture and movements. Your doctor may advise you to use the drug either alone or with other drugs to treat the condition. It is not meant to be used by patients less than 18 years of age.
Duodopa intestinal gel that you have to use during a day is divided into three doses: morning bolus dose, continuous maintenance dose and extra bolus dose. The morning dose is Duodopa 5 to 10ml, not exceeding 15ml. Continuous maintenance dose is Duodopa 1ml to 10ml per hour. Extra doses will be recommended to you by your doctor, depending on your medical condition and response to the treatment.
Duodopa intestinal gel is pumped directly into your duodenum with the help of a permanent tube and portable pump.
Side Effects & Interactions of Duodopa
Some common side effects of Duodopa intestinal gel include:
- Uncontrolled abnormal movements, spasms or muscle twitching
- Lightheadedness or dizziness
- Vomiting, nausea, feeling sick, loss of appetite
- Dark saliva
- Abnormal dreams
- Sudden sleep, drowsiness
- Slow movements
- Spasm or twitching of eyelids
- Increased sex drive
- Dark pigmentation on skin lesions, changes in moles identified by increase in size, itching, bleeding or darker in color
Some serious side effects associated with Duodopa intestinal gel include:
- Blood in urine, painful or difficult urination
- Mood changes, depression
- Anemia, identified by shortness of breath, tiredness, paleness
- Signs of an infection, including severe chills, fever, mouth ulcers or throat soreness
- Easy bruising or bleeding, nosebleeds
- Itchiness, skin rash
- Nettle rash, hives
- Tingling or numbness in the feet or hands
- Bleeding from rectum, sticky black bowel motions, bloody diarrhea
- Vomit that looks like coffee grounds
- Chest pain
- Irregular or fast heartbeat
- Muscle stiffness with fever
- Mental changes, identified by hallucinations or feelings of being paranoid or fearful
- Difficulty breathing, shortness of breath
Before you buy Duodopa intestinal gel, you should inform your doctor if you are using drugs for treating high blood pressure, depression, psychiatric problems, convulsions (e.g. phenytoin), tuberculosis (e.g. isoniazid), iron supplements, multi-vitamins containing iron or other medicines for treating Parkinson’s disease (e.g. selegiline).
Warnings & Precautions of Duodopa
Inform your doctor beforehand if you have/have had any of the following medical conditions:
- Narrow angle glaucoma
- Severe renal insufficiency or liver problem
- Severe heart failure
- Cardiac arrhythmia
- History of an acute stroke
- Adrenal gland tumor
- Hormonal problem (e.g. over-production of thyroxin or adrenal gland
- Unusual skin moles or lumps
- Melanoma (a skin cancer type)
IMPORTANT DISCLAIMER: All medical content is supplied by a third party company who is independent from this web site. As such, this web site can not guarantee the reliability, accuracy, and /or medical efficacy of the information provided. In all circumstances, you should seek the advice of a health professional pertaining to drug, treatment and/or medical condition advice. Note that not all products are shipped by our contracted Canadian pharmacy. This website contracts with dispensaries around the world that ship products directly to our customers. Some of the jurisdiction include but are not limited to United Kingdom, Europe, Turkey, India, Canada, Vanuatu, Mauritius, and USA. The items within your order may be shipped from any one of these jurisdiction depending on the availability and cost of the products at the time you place your order. The products are sourced from these countries as well as others. Please note that the product appearance may vary from actual product received depending on availability. The content above has been supplied by a third party who is contracted to, and also independent from, this web site. This web site cannot guarantee the accuracy, reliability or medical efficacy of the content provided. It is suggested that you always seek the advice of a health professional for treatment, drug or medical condition advice.