Duodopa Levodopa/Carbidopa and/or alternatives
Duodopa 2000/500mgManufacturer: Solvay Pharmaceuticals Source Country : United Kingdom
Shipped from : United Kingdom
This item requires a prescription from your doctor
All trademarks and registered trademarks are the property of their respective owners.
Please note that the source country, shipping country and/or manufacture may vary depending on availability.
Description of Duodopa
Duodopa is a combination of Carbidopa and Levodopa, and it belongs to the class of anti-Parkinson medicines. You can buy Duodopa in the form of an intestinal gel. Each ml of the gel contains 5mg Carbidopa and 20mg Levodopa. Other ingredients present in the drug include purified water and carmellose sodium.
Indications & Dosage of Duodopa
Duodopa is used for the treatment of Parkinson’s disease. It helps in controlling severe involuntary movements due to the disease in advanced stages. The medicine works by increasing the amount of certain chemicals in the brain so that you gain control on your posture and movements. Your doctor may advise you to use the drug either alone or with other drugs to treat the condition. It is not meant to be used by patients less than 18 years of age.
Duodopa intestinal gel that you have to use during a day is divided into three doses: morning bolus dose, continuous maintenance dose and extra bolus dose. The morning dose is Duodopa 5 to 10ml, not exceeding 15ml. Continuous maintenance dose is Duodopa 1ml to 10ml per hour. Extra doses will be recommended to you by your doctor, depending on your medical condition and response to the treatment.
Duodopa intestinal gel is pumped directly into your duodenum with the help of a permanent tube and portable pump.
Side Effects & Interactions of Duodopa
Some common side effects of Duodopa intestinal gel include:
- Uncontrolled abnormal movements, spasms or muscle twitching
- Lightheadedness or dizziness
- Vomiting, nausea, feeling sick, loss of appetite
- Dark saliva
- Abnormal dreams
- Sudden sleep, drowsiness
- Slow movements
- Spasm or twitching of eyelids
- Increased sex drive
- Dark pigmentation on skin lesions, changes in moles identified by increase in size, itching, bleeding or darker in color
Some serious side effects associated with Duodopa intestinal gel include:
- Blood in urine, painful or difficult urination
- Mood changes, depression
- Anemia, identified by shortness of breath, tiredness, paleness
- Signs of an infection, including severe chills, fever, mouth ulcers or throat soreness
- Easy bruising or bleeding, nosebleeds
- Itchiness, skin rash
- Nettle rash, hives
- Tingling or numbness in the feet or hands
- Bleeding from rectum, sticky black bowel motions, bloody diarrhea
- Vomit that looks like coffee grounds
- Chest pain
- Irregular or fast heartbeat
- Muscle stiffness with fever
- Mental changes, identified by hallucinations or feelings of being paranoid or fearful
- Difficulty breathing, shortness of breath
Before you buy Duodopa intestinal gel, you should inform your doctor if you are using drugs for treating high blood pressure, depression, psychiatric problems, convulsions (e.g. phenytoin), tuberculosis (e.g. isoniazid), iron supplements, multi-vitamins containing iron or other medicines for treating Parkinson’s disease (e.g. selegiline).
Warnings & Precautions of Duodopa
Inform your doctor beforehand if you have/have had any of the following medical conditions:
- Narrow angle glaucoma
- Severe renal insufficiency or liver problem
- Severe heart failure
- Cardiac arrhythmia
- History of an acute stroke
- Adrenal gland tumor
- Hormonal problem (e.g. over-production of thyroxin or adrenal gland
- Unusual skin moles or lumps
- Melanoma (a skin cancer type)